Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

HARVEY'S SHUL,unfinished piece, on its way

I call this Harvey's Shul, because it is where my Cousin Harvey works as the Business Manager. But thats not my only reason for painting this particular shul.
I am absolutely fascinated by comtemporary, odd religion buildings; whether christian, jewish, moslem, or buddists... as I am with religious art of all kinds. It seems to me that people have poured their hearts out, from the beginning of time, with the concept of God, and the concept of religion... the concept of something greater than themselves.

And Cousin Harvey's shul fits that bill.  It is a very tall and thin, very modern place of worship. What blew my mind is that when you get off the elevator, you find yourself facing toward the width of the schul... which makes the shul look wider, longer.  The architect is truly brilliant.
... but then when I look at it through my camera eye, and take a pic in the street; I see its connection to the heavens, the universe,  the past of our religion, our people, the neighborhood ... the warmth of a shabbos meal.

size: 22 x30 inches


No comments:

Post a Comment