Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

GENERATION TO GENERATION


                                      size: 3 x 7.5 feet

The above pic is my make-shift livingroom/studio.  In reality my studio is 
taking over my livingroom, and because my drawings/paintings sit on my
couch, no more than two to three people can visit. But I do have a kitchen
and bedroom... so there is more space.  

The painting leaning on my wall, is called "from Generation to Generation"...
I did it, especially, for a show I participated in two years ago in
New Haven, Ct... at the Jewish Community Center. 
It was done on a wooden door as it would have in Jewish Foldlore
to convey the message or spirit of coming and going.  Passing through.
The visual is of a rabbi davening, looking towards the past,  
before the migration of Jews from Middle Europe to the new world... 
From nothing to a monotheic religion of one God.

The door is painted Gold to represents the Byzantine Period (330A.D. 
to 1453 A.D. of art, when that metal was used richly in Christianity...
Upon further research I found out that Gold was used because it
symbolised the generosity and spirituality of Heaven.  Also to my
surprised it was used in Synagogues for Jewish symbols and artifacts, 
perhap at the same time.  




No comments:

Post a Comment